The Mercado de Afonso de Albuquerque (Margao New Market). Named after the Portuguese general, the Margao New Market was opened to the public on 5th December 1889. The inaugural marble plaque can be found on the decorative tower next to Radio Mundial.
Floriano Vaz – Konkani language agitation’s first martyr. His crime: asking recognition of his Mother Tongue, Konkani. Floriano Vaz was shot dead in cold blood on 20 December 1986 at noon, near his home at Gogol, by a constable of the Gujarat State Reserve Police […]
Did you know??? That Subraya Naik was once taken hostage by the Ranes??? The incident of the Ranes encounter with the Naiks took place towards the end of the 19th century. As a mahajan of the Lakshmi Narcinva temple in Veling, Subraya was attending a […]
Sometime in the 1950’s the Portuguese govt. undertook aerial photography of Goa. This is one of the photos of Margao.
21st April is the birth anniversary of Goa’s first catholic saint – St Jose Vaz. The third of six children born to Cristóvão Vaz and Maria de Miranda, St Jose Vaz was born on 21st April 1651 at his mother’s house in Benaulim. The Largo […]
Popular High School one of the oldest schools in Margao was founded on 12th May 1931 by Pundalik B. Naik and Teofilo D’Costa with 116 pupils on the roll in 1930-31. Since 2004 the school is managed by Vidya Bharati. The Popular High School Trust […]
The first printing press landed in Goa on 6 September 1556, much before it came to other parts of India and Asia, and the first newspaper – O Chronista Constitutional de Goa in Portuguese, was started by the Government in 1835 and suspended in 1837. […]
Loyola was founded as Union High School in Margao on 13 July 1899, by the late Roque Santana Gracias. The Archdiocese of Goa took it over in 1932 and renamed it St Theotonius Union High School. In 1944 Goa Jesuits took charge and renamed it […]
The Northern segment of the Margao Municipal Garden was developed by Abdul Javerbhai Mavany in memory of his late father Javerbhai Ramjee. It was named after H. H. The Aga Khan who visited Goa just before liberation. The park was inaugurated by Goa’s last Portuguese […]
The Blood Bank at Hospicio Margao sponsored by Lions Club of Margao was formally inaugurated on 12th May 1966 by Lion Commor K B Godrej (Retd) and declared open by Lion K V Gopalaswamy on 21st December 1966. A marble plaque at the entrance lists […]