The foundation stone for the Margao Municipality building was laid on 27th September 1902 and the construction began on a memorable note… A damsel from Comba took up the challenge and a handsome cash prize, for lifting the new building’s foundation stone and carrying it to the pit dressed in her birthday suit – in the appreciative presence of his Excellency the Governor Col. Eduardo Augusto Rodrigues Galhardo and a huge smiling crowd of pakles and nodding Salcete gentry.
This imposing new municipal building was built by Caetano Camillo da Silva from Orlim and to construct it, the Governor imposed heavy taxes in Salcete. Such was the public resentment of the steep taxes that Arnaldo de Menezes from Raia composed the mando – ‘Kitlem odruxtt amchem’.
The Municipality building was inaugurated on 30 April 1905.
Municipal building photo – circa 1940